National and International Events
May is National Water Safety Month.
May 15th, International Water Safety Day
May 22 - 28, 2021 is National Safe Boating Week.
June 17, 2021: World's Largest Swim Lesson
Being a WaterSmartFL Safety Partner is easy. Help us by spreading the word about pool and water safety, educate your colleagues, neighbors, and friends while being a good WaterSmart example to children. Here are some ways you can help:
- Download the WaterSmartFL Web banner to post on your homepage and link directly to our website.
- Feature WaterSmartFL posters, window clings, pool safety brochures, and post cards at your business or office.
- Use your newsletters, newspapers, magazines, email blasts, or other publications to educate your employees, customers and members about the importance of pool safety and drowning prevention.
- Use your Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other social media platforms to educate your followers about the importance of pool safety.
- Distribute Water Watcher tags to consumers and members. This is an important tool that will encourage more active supervision and help adults know who is watching the water while children are playing.
- Show safety videos at your next conference or meeting or at your retail locations.
- Encourage homeowners to add layers of protection. Offer special promotions and sales on different types of barriers. Offer or refer your employees, colleagues and friends to CPR classes.
- Actively Follow Water Safe Practices every time you are in, on or around water.
- Establish a life jacket loaner board program at lakes and beaches. Life jackets save lives. More information about life jacket loaner boards is available at https://www.boatus.org/life-jacket-loaner/downloads/loaner-program-guide.pdf.
- Make sure your children know how to swim. Find swim lessons near you at the American Red Cross SWIM LESSONS, YMCA SWIM LESSONS, or through your city/county’s recreation and parks office.
- Local Drowning Prevention Partnership activities: Contact your local Safe Kids Coalition to find out when and where your local partnership meets.